Thursday, February 12, 2015

Southern Girls Challenge - Winged Things

For this month's challenge over at Southern Girls Challenge the theme is wings and things. I have created a canvas featuring an art doll and a lot of diecuts.  I love using diecuts and I love finding other ways to use them apart from card making and scrapbooking.  Here is the finished piece, it is a 10"x10" canvas.




To make the background I first crumpled up tissue paper and glued it to the canvas, When I die cut with my more intricate dies I usually use a piece of waxed paper between the die and the material I am cutting.  I hate wasting materials so I keep all of the die cut waxed paper pieces. On this project I used a Cheery Lynn Web border die and using the waxed paper pieces I glued these around the edge of the canvas. The beauty of using the waxed paper is that it resists the paints and sprays and gives a nice effect on the background. I then diecut several butterflies out of scrap card using a Cheery Lynn die.  I glued these diecut butterflies to the canvas.  I then painted over the butterflies with white gesso.



Once the gesso had dried I began spraying the canvas with various sprays.  I kept going until I got the depth of colour that I was happy with, using a baby wipe to wipe off the paint and spray on the areas where I had put the waxed paper.  You can see the effect this creates in the image below.   When the paint dried I dry brushed the raised areas with gold and then using a wet brush I highlighted areas and brushed on Perfect Pearls.  I sprayed the finished result with a fixative spray to hold the Perfect Pearls.  This gave me a shimmering background for my canvas.






I then set about creating the art doll.  Her body is made from card which I covered with a paper towel that had been used to clean up paint.  I glued waxed paper butterflies to the paper towel and then glued the paper towel to the card.  I just cut the body freehand, then I attached it to an ice cream stick that I had stamped with a script stamp.  I stamped the head and then used a Memory Box die to cut out three trees to make her "crown".  The wings are a Spellbinder butterfly die.


T then used a Cheery Lynn sunflower die to make the flowers, a Dienamics die for the leaves and ladybugs, a Couture Creations die for the roses, a Memory box die for the bumblebees, a Sizzix die for the bird and a Cheery Lynn die for the butterflies.

I then added buttons and words and the project was done. I am really pleased with how this project has turned out and I had a lot of fun making it.  





I hope you feel inspired to enter our challenge over at Southern Girls Challenge and I look forward to seeing your entries.

I am entering this project on the following challenge blogs 
Rhedd's Creative Spirit
Altered Eclectics
Left of Centre Challenges



5 comments:

  1. Wow! I love all the colours, texture & dimension. Thank you for sharing your process on making the gorgeous background & for inspiring us here at Left of Centre Challenges. AEL x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ngaere, that is fab! Love seeing a snippet of your process. It's amazing. Each piece a work of art! Hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful texture colours and so much fun. TFS over at Rhedd's Creative Spriti this month x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like using the waxed paper cutouts too as it is always unexpected as to how paints and inks will behave on them. Your art doll looks quite shy as she sits surrounded by so many lovely flowers. Thank you for joining in at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have had so much fun building this canvas up it is so happy! Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete